Monday, October 15, 2007

Man Attempts to Flatten Penny. Is Himself Flattened.

The irony here is not that the man was trying to impress his family by putting a penny on the tracks to be flattened by an oncoming train, and it's not really the fact that he didn't make it off the tracks in time and was hit and killed in front of his family. Noooo, the irony is that he was a retired police officer.

Well, maybe that's not too ironic. The cops I've known, and I've had two in my family - my Grampa and Great Uncle - think it's perfectly ok for them to do things that other people should not or are not allowed to do. Since they enforce the law, they are exempt from it I guess, or at least, they are convinced of their own intelligence or superiority, as enforcers of the law, that it doesn't apply to them. My grampa regularly drove WHILE drinking...with me and my sister and cousins in the car. We thought it was fun at the time. What did we know?

So this ex-cop, not only does he decide to impress his family with his little stunt, he does it at a train station, where the tracks are below the station platform. He had to jump down into that pit the train travels through. So down he goes, but can't quite make the jump back out. His family tries to help him, but there's a train coming at 75 mph and they don't make it. Neither does he.

Imagine the horror of seeing your dad and husband smashed by a train. Some lesson dad.

The full story here

Labels: , , , ,